HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT (DRY)
I absolutely love making new household items. This laundry detergent works fantastic. You can make small, medium, or large batches.
I chose to make a large batch to last a whole year. It can last longer if you do not wash clothes every day. (Although highly recommended)
Let’s jump right into making laundry detergent!
- 1 Box of Borax
- 1 Box of Washing Soda
- 1 Box of Baking Soda
- 3 Bars of Fels-Naptha
- (Optional) 1 Box of Oxi Clean Versatile
Cut up the Fels-Naptha into small chunks and put it into a food processor.
If you do not have a blender or a food processor then grate the soap. This will take a couple of hours to do. Your hand will cramp!
Make sure the Fels-Naptha is not chunky but chopped very thinly. (Minced)
This is what the soap should look like. Compare it to minced garlic.
When you put the Fels-Naptha in the blender make sure to add a little borax and washing soda so the Fels-Naptha does not stick to the blades.
- Get 2 trash bags and put one inside of the other one.
- Add all of the products in the borax, washing soda, baking soda, fells-naptha, and oxi clean.
- BONUS: If you want to add in essential oils for the smell you can add in a some I chose not to because the lemon smell was enough for me. You can also use scented beads (like Gain scented bead booster)
Mix everything together in the trash bag, but be careful not to poke a hole in the bag!
- After everything is fully mixed up tie the bag at the top.
- Lay the bag down cut a small hole enough for the detergent to come out of.
- Grab your large bowl that you are keeping the detergent in.
- Begin slowly pouring the contents into the bowl.
- Label the bowl.
This is a quick fun process to make and very helpful when you want to save on money. When you need extra money for something else, etc.
I made a full batch and using it every day. I love this recipe. Better then a few others I have found. I believe it is the Oxi Clean that makes it better.
WHAT IF I WANT A SMALLER BATCH?
- If you want to make a small batch Just do a cup of all the powder boxes and only one fells-naptha
- If you want a medium batch use half the boxes and two fells-naptha
Let me know in the comments below how your detergent turned out!